Thread: Walnut Street Theater's Oliver

Walnut Street Theater's Oliver

Presented at Walnut Street Theater now through January 10, 2010, is One of Broadway's most beloved classic musicals of all time, Oliver!

Synopsis:
    This show brings to life Charles Dickens' timeless characters with its ever-popular story of the boy who asked for more. The sensational score is full of Lionel Bart's irresistible songs including "Food, Glorious Food;" "Consider Yourself;" "You've Got to Pick-a-Pocket or Two;" "I'd Do Anything;" "Oom Pah Pah;" "As Long As He Needs Me" and many more. Oliver! promises to be one of the most spectacular holiday musicals to ever grace the Walnut's stage.
    Tom from Walnut Street Theater was kind enough to provide me with two tickets to come review their most recent main stage show.

Let me start with the set design and props. The scenery was excellent and captured the essence of Dicken's Victorian London, or how I picture it to be. While I have not been to London myself, it’s how I envisioned Victorian London in Dickens’ time.

Secondly, the acting was impressive. I was particularly impressed with several of the characters/actors. Hugh Panaro (pictured below with Sam Preston/Oliver) was a stroke of genius as Fagin. He did a fabulous job, and was very entertained by all the mannerisms of Fagin. I was reminded of Johnny Depp’s Character in the Pirates of the Caribbean film. They were both whimsical and hilariously funny characters that make you love them instantly. Who can resist a long haired man who makes you laugh non-stop?

I was also impressed with Nancy (pictured below), played by Janine Divita, and Artful Dodger, played by RJ Fattore. Both of these actors possessed very strong stage presence and both singing and acting ability. The character of Oliver, played by Sam Preston, on the other hand, was extremely weak and paled in comparison to the other children and other actors in this musical, but he shows promise.

Third, the theater itself is not overly showy, and has an air of intimacy and quaintness. Downstairs are small tables, surrounded by brick walls, mimicking a coffee shop, inviting patrons to take a seat and chat over a cup of coffee/tea while they wait for the show to begin. On the second floor are walls lined with framed photographs, of what I assume are former actors and actresses who have preformed at the Walnut Street Theater. Among these photographs were Tia and Tamara Lowry, from TV’s “Sister Sister” and their little brother Tahj Lowry from TV’s “Smart Guy”.

Overall, I would give this show a 4 out of 5. I was impressed with everything about the show, sadly, except the lead character’s acting and vocals. It’s still well worth the trip into Philadelphia to see this show!

Their upcoming shows include: Fallen Angels, The Eclectic Society and Fiddler on the Roof and MORE

More on this review here: melindajoy.blogspot.com/2009/11/oliver.html

I've decided I'm not wasting my time watching the show anymore. All of the top 24 are boring. Anyone else feel the same way? It's painful to watch the show. Usually I can find at least one person to root for, but no one is doing it for me this year.
    Bloggerhub Breaktime
    MArry