I am online doing the "dating" thing too, but as a woman I'm having a completely different experience. In many sites the women are outnumbered 10-to-1 and get absolutely slammed with responses. Often the fellow responding has not taken the time to read the carefully written profile put up there and is just sending out random emails saying "Wanna chat?" Or better yet "Wanna ****?"

Whether the site is a sex/swingers or dating/relationship one we still get those responses. Sometimes I respond with a one liner, sometimes I can't respond (depends on the site) because I haven't paid for premium membership and am limited by the emails I can respond to in one day. And the profusion of responses can lead a woman to be REALLY picky. It can be a head rush.

As for the photos and names thing, I do not reveal either even if the fellow has volunteered both to me. I know you think it's quid pro quo, but women online are at more risk than men are, and I play it safe and close to the chest for the most part. It is not until I have satisfied myself with his lack of insanity gonna kill me intentions that I send a photo or gove out my name. It's what all the sites recommend anyway, for safety's sake.

So bear with us, make your profile unique and funny so that it stands out in the scrum we get. Tell a story to illustrate why hiking/camping/rollerblading/movies are your favorite hobby. Make yourself personal and personable even if you are on one of the sex sites.

And good luck to you,

Red (I can be found on my blog at blogspot as redfriqueDOTblogspot)