Thread: post labeling, how ???

Unhappy post labeling, how ???

Hi there,

I am new to blogging and have couple (or more) questions.

I am writing a blog about spicy food from all over the world. I would love to organize my recipes, so on the left side, there will be recipes sorted By Country and under it, there is a category Dish Type.

Now, I heard that this can be done by labelling posts. I did that, but for some silly reason everything I lable seems to show in both categories, By Country and By Dish Type... and that looks stoooopid ...

please have a look at what what I ve done at burntmouth.blogspot.com and tell me what went wrong ?

thanx a lot for any help

Hi Zlamushka,

As far as I know adding a label will allow you (someone else) to find all posts with that label. Therefore if you add both label to a post (like Curry Pastes, Malay) the post will appear in both hmmm....categories ?..but wait, here is the problem.
    I don't know how you create the left menu, but I suppose the labels are added there automatically. And that means there is no label category (because there is impossible to "magically" know what label to which category belongs). If it would have been possible to choose categories for labels or even for posts, than probem is solved.

Of course, another idea would be to create the menu yourself and to manually link to posts there.

Hope that helps !
    Radu

Unhappy

Thanx a lot,

I understand that blogger automatically places all the labels accordingly. I guess it is impossible to have two different labelling mechanisms ?

Is it possible to pre-define labels (and divide those in two categories) ? Then it should work. Blogger would only place them under the correct label (regardless which group it is)...

DOES ANYBODY HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH THIS ?

Z

Indeed, the idea would be to be able to divide labels in categories (predefined label or choosing the category for each new label). However I don't think blogger allows this. I'll try to do some coding tonight if I have a little bit of time, however chances are low to "convince" blogger do manage this just by coding.

Nevertheless is pretty easy to manually add links in cathegories, I know is not the most elegant solution, however is a workaround to blogger limits.

All best,
    Radu

Hi Radu,

thanx again.

I am not a huge programmer myself, I get the general idea, I can work with HTML (a bit with CSS), but that s about it.

How about this:
    I saw a weblog that had recipes sorted by categories and then subcategories (all automatically, via labeling). I like that.. any idea how that is possible ?

so the outcome would be:

- General
    ---blah blah
    ---yada yada
    - By country
    --- thai
    --- chinese
    --- romanian
    - By dish type
    --- curry paste
    --- seasoning
    --- dip

zlamushka

To you happen to remember the link of that blog ? If this is done automatically...could it be that the blog is not hosted and empowered by blogger but other blogging service ?

You made me curious about this, let's try to solve this mistery out !

Take care,
    Radu

Hey radu,

i cannot find it, damn... the closest i got to was
    nandyala.org/mahanandi/
    this lady has a beautiful cuisine, layout, pictures and also an organized recipe index. however, I am not sure, how she does that, it doesnt seem to be labeling... hope she doesnt link it there manually...

i ll keep looking
    Zuz

and btw, i just found a new info here
    groups.google.com/group/blogger-help-howdoi/browse_thread/thread/3c2810d182704942/0485736d746f2884#0485736d746f2884

they say sublabelingis not currently possible
    Last edited by zlamushka; 07-04-2007 at 12:31 PM. Reason: new info

Hi zlamushka , I did not forget about your request, however yesterday I left the job by midnight and really did not have time for this. However I also found a page doing something similar, but the articles were also listed in both categories...for example a post labeled with "internet" & with "business" is listed both under internet and business, but in that case it makes sense.
    However it seems to me that the way to go for the moment is how you already did it, that means listing the labels directly.

That way an article labeles Curry Pastes, Thai would appear under both cathegories. I don't know if you can further group the labels manually, it would be nice to have two main categories and then detail them....but I'm afraid you should do this manually.

All best,
    Radu

hey Radu,

thanks a lot, I figured it would be too complicated for both of us, so i am jst gong to label everything under one. Everybpdy else does. I wrote to blogger with a sublabeling suggestion, cause i saw couple of more people wondering about it, so we ll see. Right now, I only havea couple of recipes psted, so its not that big of a deal.
    Maybe in the future (u can contact them with a solution) and i ll be happy to be your laboratory rat

thanks again
    Zuss