There is no sure fire way to get traffic, despite what everyone says. There are only suggestions, based on what your blog is about. Quality content and length is essential for SEO. Social media and self-promotion equally so as advertising. None of us have a budget of a million dollars, ergo none of us is going to make it to page one on Google.

The first thing you ought to ask yourself is; why would anyone want to read what I say? Do I know what I’m talking about, or is it just a series of rambling topics? Try to make your blog THE place to go to for your particular topic and if you can’t write more than a thousand words on any topic, it’s going to be a waste of time.

Secondly, what makes my blog any more interesting than the next?

Thirdly, what niche am I aiming for and what competition do I have?

Points to think about

Is your content interesting? Currently the big topics are recipies, travel, the paranormal and lifestyle. Or is it about trying to sell something, or get rich quick schemes by blogging? Forget it.

How will you know when your site is being properly indexed and so promoted by Google? You’ll have that bot almost permanently on your site crawling it. If it’s not, get serious and do some work on your HTML. Most HTML on blogs visited is abysmal. Just like social sites, if you can’t be bothered, Google can’t be bothered either. Your competition is around a billion and a half other blogs – try to narrow that disadvantage.

Advertise yourself. Write for others, with links back to your site and it’s topics. Make others aware that you’re an authority on your subject.

But it’s still not happening? Look at other blogs in your niche. What do they do that you don’t. What information have they got that you haven’t. Copy, don’t be shy, learn what makes the top blogs tick and do the same. The rest is down to luck.

I self promote for a reason, my name is all over the Internet and over a few years I’ve become an authority on my own subjects. If this post gets any more than a passing glance, I’ll do follow up with publishing the sites that will get you noticed and they’re all free. No spam or paid backlinks involved, just sites that I’ve learned get you attention.