Quote Originally Posted by Andrea Blue View Post
I have fallen helplessly in love with someone who is on the other side of the country.....I am completely determined to give it everything I've got and commit myself to not letting go of him, no matter how foolish it may seem to give my heart to someone who is so far away...Am I being totally stupid?
Hi Andrea Did you meet this man, in person, in the area where you live and THEN he moved "to the other side of the country"? I just want to make sure I understand the situation correctly

It's not "totally stupid" to try to have a long-distance relationship - but I will warn you now, it's very hard. I met my husband (online) when he was serving in the military. We didn't even live in the same COUNTRY, never mind on opposite sides of one. We grew to become the best of friends through emails, instant messaging, phone calls, postal mail, even short visits. We shared a lot of common interests and we made each other laugh. When we started to develop deeper feelings, we tried to walk away... several times, actually... because we thought it would be impossible (and crazy!) to have a real relationship, living so far apart, especially with his military deployments and such. Each time we tried to "break up," we ended up finding our way back. When he finished his commitment to the military and was discharged, he came to visit me... and stayed. We'll be married three years this January.

I tell you this, not to glorify the situation or even to recommend that you dedicate yourself to this man you met, but only to tell you that, in some cases, it can work out. I admire your determination to "commit yourself to not letting go of him" but please try to keep everything in perspective, Andrea. Long-distance relationships can require a LOT more time, money and, most important, TRUST than face-to-face relationships. Some days, the loneliness is unbearable.

My recommendation is that you build a friendship with this man because you clearly "like" one another. Try to suppress your "hopelessly in love" emotions to create an HONEST starting point. Enjoy that friendship first, without desperation to create a romantic relationship, and see what develops. Some feelings are strong enough and REAL enough to survive lots of obstacles... but it takes time to find out.

I wish you luck and happiness